Sept. 1, 2018
Today was a free day- Saturday classes don’t start until next week. I took the city bus with Roberta, another EFL instructor, down to Syntagma Square. This is the heart of Athens. Parliament and the botanical gardens are on two sides of the square and the GB Hotel, a very swank place, is also there. I believe GB stands for Great Britain and I had thought about heading up to the rooftop cafe with its great view of the Acropolis until I discovered that fancy dress is required. After only a couple of hours walking (in the shade as much as possible), my shorts and t-shirt were already sweaty. Instead I went to the Roman Agora, the Athens Agora, and the Agora Museum. Everywhere I went there were Greek or Roman ruins. Here are a few pictures: the requisite old temple and a view of the Acropolis, but also, a picture of the jury selection system of Athens and a child’s potty.
After being out for just a few hours, I was ready to head back to the apartment to shower and change clothes. Then I would have time to find a cafe and post this, check email, etc. Although I got on the wrong bus initially, another passenger was kind enough to answer my request for directions and I made it back without any problems.
 |
| With this jury selector, all Athenian men would insert a ticket. If a black ball rolled out, he had to serve on the jury. |
 |
| Athenian child's potty |
 |
| One of the many old buildings in the Agora |
The volunteer whose classes I am taking, Eider, is leaving Sunday morning to head back to Spain. She starts work in Bilbao on Monday! Although I met her just a few days ago, I am sorry to see her go. Not only did I get to practice my Spanish with her, but she likes music a lot and enjoys karaoke!! That was definitely a missed opportunity.
Hi Theresa! Thanks for the stories and photos. It's fun to see what you're up to. :)
ReplyDelete