My Classes
In the US, other instructors and I wondered why some students would only sporadically attend classes. We knew they were often adults with jobs and families, but wished they would commit to coming 6 hours per week every week. Here I hear the reasons that students can't attend and I am amazed that they manage to come to 4 classes out of 5 every week. A few of the "excuses" that I hear:
Students A & B have to go to the immigration/relocation center at 4 in the morning to stand in line to speak with someone. The center is an hour away by bus and they can only do this on certain days. They go at 4 because it is on a first come basis. Some people camp out there the night prior.
Student C has been housed in a small room in her camp with 3 men who are not relatives. She hasn't slept well in months and cannot remove her hijab. It has been over 90 all summer, so she comes to class early to use the bathroom here which also has a shower. She comes every day, but she has to miss today because she wants to have a meeting with a translator to present her case on moving to another living space.
Some students are single mothers whose husbands have relocated with plans to send for the family after they are legally settled. Others have been left behind with small children and no family or friends so the husband can move far away with a girlfriend. At times they are too exhausted from dealing with a teething baby 24 hours/day to make it to class.
However, I also have students who come with other members of their family and friends. It is fun to watch the interactions between these women who range in age from 16 to 50. They have a network of people to lean on and to help.
All of the women who come to classes here add to the supportive environment. They come to learn English, but also to drink tea together and chat (in Farsi or Somali). I enjoy watching them interact even though I can't understand what they are talking about.
what an awesome experience this is for you!
ReplyDelete